Liv 52 — The Hepatoprotector of Choice for Bodybuilders
Liv.52 is a natural medicine that is used to treat liver disorders and general liver support. You can buy Liv.52 in Canada for a relatively low price, but first — check the guide and see whether you actually need it.
What is Liv.52?
Himalaya Drug Company — the manufacturer — claims that Liv.52 is a unique combination of natural substances. They’re not lying, though. Here’s what’s inside the pills:
- Capparis spinosa (aka Himsra) — helps to protect the liver from toxic substances and promote the regeneration of liver cells;
- Cichorium intybus (aka Kasani, chicory) — has a protective effect on the liver and improves its function;
- Terminalia arjuna (or just Arjuna) — helps to strengthen the liver and improve its ability to detoxify the body.
In addition to these three main substances, you get a whole list of others:
Cassia occidentalis, Biranjasipha (Achillea millefolium), Jhavuka (Tamarix gallica),
Bhringaraja (Eclipta alba), Phyllanthus amarus, Chitraka (aka Plumbago zeylanica), and a dozen more.
It’s OK if you have never heard of them. A quick google search can tell you the history of each. These substances originate in Indian traditional medicine, and even though not all have scientifically proven effects (aside from the main active natural substances), they’re widely used in India and across the world.
More research is needed to fully understand the safety and efficacy of Liv.52. It is always recommended to consult a doctor before taking any supplement or medication.
But why Bodybuilders Use Liv.52?
Because some anabolic steroids are oral and come in pills, and to pass the liver’s natural filtering — they slightly damage the liver.
It’s OK, the liver is perfectly capable of regenerating back to its normal form like it’s nothing, but liver support is crucial in this period.
The problem is — 17 alpha alkylation.
How Oral Anabolic Steroids Work and What is 17 Alpha Alkylation
The most common way that oral anabolic steroids can damage the liver is through a process called 17 alpha-alkylation.
It’s a chemical modification of a steroid molecule that allows it to survive the first pass through the liver after oral administration.
Without this modification, the liver would break down the steroid molecule before it can even enter the bloodstream. However, this modification also increases the strain on the liver, as it must process the steroid.
The risk of liver damage is increased with higher doses of oral anabolic steroids and with longer periods of use.
So, liver protection is vital — nobody wants to really damage their liver.
The mechanisms by which the herbs in Liv.52 provide positive effects are simple: they help to reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the liver.
Here are 10 potential benefits of Liv.52:
- Liver is shielded from toxic substances;
- Boosted regeneration of liver cells;
- Improved liver function;
- Reduced oxidative stress;
- Reduced inflammation.
In addition to the core benefits, Liv.52 can deliver multiple other positive effects. These are not guaranteed by the manufacturer, but are anecdotally supported by the bodybuilding community:
- Improved digestion;
- Enhanced appetite;
- Increased production of bile (you need it for the body to function properly).
Some even claim that Liv.52 helps to prevent jaundice and improves the overall health of the liver in the long run, but we would take these claims with a grain of salt. Focus on something that’s at least supported by the community, based on people’s actual experience with the compound, and is proven by studies.
Best Alternatives to Liv.52?
It’s not the only game in town! There are several alternative products and natural remedies that are claimed to support liver health and function
Some alternatives to Liv.52 include:
- Milk Thistle: It is a herb that is commonly used to support liver health and has antioxidant properties;
- N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC): It is an amino acid that can help to support liver function and detoxification;
- Alpha-Lipoic Acid: It is an antioxidant that may help to protect the liver and improve liver function;
- Schisandra: It is a berry that has been traditionally used in Chinese medicine to support liver health and improve overall well-being;
- Licorice Root: It is a root that has been traditionally used in Ayurvedic medicine to support liver function and overall well-being.
It’s important to note that the use of these alternatives, just as Liv.52, should be administered under the supervision of a healthcare professional. Before diving into the world of ayurvedic medicine — please talk to your doctor.