No Time Limit Application: Pros, Eligibility and Cost to Apply For NTL Application
No Time Limit (NTL) applications are designed for individuals with indefinite leave to remain (ILR) status who want to obtain a biometric residence permit (BRP) in the UK.
Before 2015, ILR was evidenced through a vignette in the passport or travel document. However, with the introduction of biometric residence permits, only applicants who obtained ILR after 2015 received them.
NTL applications allow individuals with old-style vignettes to upgrade to a digital biometric residence permit, providing proof of their existing UK immigration status. Additionally, ILR holders can make NTL applications to address situations such as expired passports or travel documents or updating their identity information.
Why are NTL Applications Made?
There are four main reasons for making a No Time Limit application:
- Upgrading non-digital proof of indefinite leave to remain or enter, such as an old vignette in the passport.
- Replacing an expired, lost, or stolen passport containing indefinite leave to remain, indefinite leave to enter, or no time limit endorsement.
- Confirming settlement in the UK without documentary evidence (e.g., individuals deemed settled in the UK on or before 1 January 1973).
- Updating identity details after a change since obtaining indefinite leave.
Perks of Making a No Time Limit Application
While upgrading to a biometric residence permit is not mandatory, there are several benefits:
- Enhanced security features reduce the risk of fraudulent use compared to old-style vignettes.
- Biometric residence permits indicate the right to stay permanently in the UK, work legally, and access certain benefits.
- Permit holders can use Home Office online checking services to prove their right to work or rent (mandatory from 6 April 2022).
- Facilitates travel to and from the UK.
- Offers convenience by eliminating the need to carry a passport or travel document for identification purposes.
Who Can Make a No Time Limit Application?
Only certain individuals are eligible to apply for an NTL application. Applicants must:
- Possess indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK, including those considered ‘settled’ on or before 1 January 1973.
- Maintain their indefinite leave status without losing it (e.g., by not being absent from the UK continuously for two years or more since 2000).
- Still, be entitled to indefinite leave status.
- Apply within the UK using the NTL application form available on the Gov. UK website.
It’s important to note that if you have limited leave, you cannot make a no-time limit application. In such cases, a transfer of conditions application is required to obtain a biometric residence permit. The only exception is if you were granted a 2-month leave to enter at a port of entry because Border Force staff had concerns about your indefinite leave following an absence from the UK.
How can I apply?
To apply for a no-time limit applies, you must fill out the NTL application form and submit supporting documents during the application process. These documents should include proof of your ILR status, identification documents, and any relevant documents for a change of identity.
Additionally, you may be required to visit a local visa application centre to provide your biometric information, such as fingerprints and a photograph.
What are the fees and processing times?
As of April 2022, there is no fee for making a no-time limit application.
Typically, these applications are processed within 6 months. If you require expedited processing, you can utilise the super priority service at your visa application centre. This service aims to process your application by the end of the next working day.
Please be aware that the super-priority service incurs a cost of £800. However, depending on the location, availability could change.
The No Time Limit (NTL) application is a valuable option for individuals who wish to secure their immigration status in the UK without restricting time limits. This application offers several benefits, including the ability to live and work in the UK indefinitely, access to public services, and the opportunity to apply for British citizenship.
Contact My Legal Services; they have a team of experienced immigration lawyers who can help you with every step of the process. We are familiar with the latest immigration rules and regulations, so we can ensure your application is submitted correctly.